Wednesday 23 December 2009

Blue skies & freezing temps...

A late start saw me heading up to Brown Cove Crags to the north of Helvellyn. A big thank you to everyone who'd put the path in this morning through knee deep snow! With things well compacted I made good time. There were plenty of folk around today - climbing, walking, ski mountaineering and even snowboarding with kites.


The crag was looking very wintry with plenty of riming from about half height and not too much in the way of cornices. There were a few teams on other routes but I opted for a solo of Right Buttress Crack (Grade III) which was untouched. The snow was very deep and unconsolidated but once I'd swum into the chimney things improved. The first chockstone was fairly tricky but a great little route which offers plenty of harder variations.

Once on the ridge I just had time to get to the summit of Helvellyn for a spectacular sunset.