Tuesday 22 December 2009

Carrock Fell Ice

With the roads still covered in snow I took a walk up in to the Northern Fells. I had a quick solo of Troughs Gully (III) on Carrock Fell. It was a little thin but the ice was good and probably an easy grade III. The direct start wasn't fully formed. A not so quick wade to the summit gave some amazing views over to High Street and the Pennines. I had the fells to myself again today, not a soul to be seen.


The strong south westerly was still moving plenty of snow around and it was tough going on the lee slopes with drifts up to a meter deep. The snow still hasn't consolidated at all and was useless to climb on but the turf was well frozen and the ice, where thick enough, was taking first time placements. After a day of blue skies the snow was beginning to fall again as I got back down early afternoon.