Sunday 9 September 2012

Beating the weather on Gimmer

Gimmer Crag in the sunshine

This week I'm out on the crags after some more Classic Rock ticks. Jude & Sue efforts are gathering pace and today we opted to return to Gimmer to complete its trilogy of routes. Rain and high winds were forecast for the afternoon but an early-ish start and a quick walk in in the sunshine allowed us to enjoy dry but greasy rock on Bracket & Slab (S). However for the first time in 16 years of instructing I managed to take a wee tumble while working. A foot slip exiting the infamous Amen Corner had me bouncing of the ledge below and coming to rest ten foot lower. Nothing hurt except my pride so plenty of jokes at my expense for the rest of the day. We topped out in good style as the sky darkened before an abseil descent and a quick scoot back to the ODG as the rain started.